Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Histology Blood

Well, it's a bit late, and I get the feeling it's only me using this blog anyways...
None the less, here's the blood histology slides I found online. This week seemed fairly simple:

Formed Elements make up 45% of blood
Plasma makes up 55% of blood

Erythrocytes: Red blood cells



Leukocytes are white blood cells and include the following:

Granulocytes- Neutrophil, Eosinophil, and Basophil appear grainy in slides



Neutrophil: (50-70% of Leukocytes)
multi-lobe neucleus, active phagocyte












Eosinophil: (2-4% of Leukocytes)
bilobed neucleus





Basophil (0.5-1 % of Leukocytes)
"S" shaped neucleus





Agranulocytes: no visible granules clear cyctoplasm

Lymphocyte- spherical neucleus imported for antibody immune response








Monocytes: "U" shaped neucleus, long term-chronic illness 2x's as big as RBC






To remember the greatest percentage in blood/plasma use the achronymn

Never Let Monkeys Eat bananas

neutrophil
lymphocyte
monocyte
eosinophil
basophil

A few more slides















Neutrophil and Eosinophil





Lymphocyte and Neutrophil

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Hi Aisha,

I found your blog via Introduce Islam. Being a biology major myself, I love the pictures and diagrams here! The types of leukocytes, in particular, are beautiful on slides.

The Renaissance Biologist (http://therenaissancebiologist.blogspot.com)

Steve Perry said...

Nasty Little Men Eat Babies -- that's the mnemonic I used to remember the blood cell names. Long ago and far away ...

Steve Perry said...

The cranial nerves were another hoot:
On old Olympus's towering top, a fat-assed German viewed a hop ...

Unknown said...

steve, you are hilarious. A&P sucks and is the cause for my absence at class... and I think I'm changing my major.

Unknown said...

but then again, I'm over-tired up studying for a huge midterm!

Jet said...

you site is a life saver